The Roll-Down is a classical Pilates exercise that can strengthen the abdominals and stretch the lower back. It is a basic Pilates exercise, but that doesn’t mean it is easy according to Patrea Aeschliman, owner of 15 to Fit Pilates, Barre and Fitness in Mooresville, North Carolina. However, she says, for many this is a very challenging exercise that needs to be practiced.
This exercise is particularly good for golfers who need spinal mobility and abdominal strength to create power in the golf swing.
Watch Patrea demonstrate the Roll-Down with modifications.
- Sit on the floor in a ‘v’ position with your knees bent and your feet flat
- Place your hands behind your knees
- Inhale as you sit tall, keeping your knees and ankles together
- Tuck your tailbone and roll back about 4 inches
- Reach your arms straight out in front of you, then hold position for one inhale
- Exhale, then pull your abs in and then articulate your spine back up to the start position
- Repeat 8 to 10 times
Share this Post